This is an article I wrote for the first edition of Okanagan Health and Wellness Magazine.
Many people ride what I call the Resolution Rollercoaster, an annual cycle of good intentions and a burst of energy followed by a low period of frustration and disappointment. Make 2013 the year you break this cycle. Here are a few pointers for sustainable, rewarding results.
1. What is your Dream? It is important to have a vision of yourself living your dream goal. What will your life be like? How will you feel? What will achieving this goal allow you to do that you can’t do now? Start with the end in mind an write it down. When old habits creep in, you will need your vision of your reward to pull you through.
2. Set smaller, achievable goals. Smaller goals serve as signposts of success on your journey to living your Dream. CELEBRATE all your successes, big and small. Feel good about what your are doing for yourself.
3. Invest in your outcome. It’s important for you to “get some skin in the game”. Whether it’s an investment of time, money or both, investing in your goals accomplishes two things. First, it communicates that you and your dream are worth it. Second, it’s much harder to say “no” to getting out the door or taking action when you are invested.
4. Share your goal with others. By telling friends and family what you intend to do, you turn them in to accountability partners. If they doubt you, or think you are crazy, it doesn’t matter. Remember, this is about YOU, not them.
5. Be kind to yourself. If there is a large gap between where you are today and your dream goal, recognize it’s going to take some time. The best rewards do not come from instant gratification, but consistent action towards your goals and dreams. If you have a moment of weakness, forgive yourself and get back in the game. Don’t waste any time or energy beating up on yourself. The only way to win is to stay in the game and play.
For more information about how to receive your FREE subscription to this popular new magazine, go to www.ohwmagazine.com or find them at www.facebook.com/OkanaganHealthWellnessMagazine