I was looking for interesting Vitamix recipes recently and found this delicious recipe on the blog The Veritable Vitamix.
Note – Do you have an awesome smoothie recipe to share? Please add it below in the comments or use the comment box on the contact page of my site.
If you know anything about my relationship with chocolate, you will understand my instant attraction to this recipe. I was doubtful at first, but I had to give it a try. If I could be convinced that I was drinking hot chocolate while actually ingesting kale and beets, it would be a near miracle! I have made this recipe four times and each time I have thoroughly enjoyed it and not been hungry for close to 4 hours. Plus, I have a sense of inner peace, knowing that I have done my body a “good one” instead of a more typical chocolate binge.
Here is the recipe
- 8 to 12 oz almond or coconut milk (I use 1/4 cup almonds and 3/4 cups water, blended on high before adding the rest of the ingredients. We haven’t bought almond milk since we bought our Vitamix.)
- approx 8 raw cashew nuts
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1/4 raw red beet
- Handful of kale (I use 2 leaves/stalks)
- Sweetener of choice (I’ve been using agave syrup)
- Vanilla protein powder (I use TrueSTRENGTH Protein Powder – delicious as always!)
- If using almonds and water to make your own almond milk, pre-blend quickly before adding the rest of ingredients
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend thoroughly, starting on Variable 1, then quickly turning to Variable 10 and then on to High Speed
- Blend on High Speed for 4-5 minutes until steam escapes when you remove the centre of the lid OR blend on High Speed for 1 minute, pour into a mug and finish heating in the microwave.
- Pour into your favourite mug and enjoy!
If you give this recipe a try, please let me know how you like it. The next time I make it I’m going to add some avocado to make the texture even more like velvet!